Dear Possible PenPals


I began penpalling in 2016, deciding to reduce social media and increase my analog. Having grown up in the analog age, it was time to return to more meaningful and genuine things, not personas.

I've enjoyed it immensely, at times having more penpals than one should. I learned that some of the joy diminishes when it becomes a task. Therefore during writing challenges, I most often take a lighter approach than going full throttle.

Like so many others, I'm returning to SnailMail after COVID put a kink in it. Yet this year I'd like to see it as an investment to growing something platonically meaningful. I'm not sure why, but even with SnailMailers there has been a facade and superficial chat.

Don't get me wrong. There is no desire to write on philosophy, religion, politics. Nor complain and rant about victimization. I choose joy and hope instead. Yet among all the fun one-offs during scribbling season, it would be nice to come across a few penpallers who desire to share on a slightly more meaningful level. Just a little.

In the SnailMail arena you have to give in order to get, thus this post to share a nugget or two. (I think I myself have contributed to the surface-level correspondence I've received over the years.)


I'm a craftsman. An Artist. A visualizer, yet somewhat detailed and Thinker at times also. I struggled a bit growing up. Discovered in adulthood that one of the reasons was because I don't fall fully into one box or another.

I'm more equally right AND left brained than anyone should be. My funny way of explaining would be, 'If I'm not careful I can run myself into circles :)" Both left and right try to dominate.

It's a bloomin' riot. I create, and then think a lot about it. LOL.

I'm a painter, and also work with live-edge wood slabs. I also transform vintage wood items into fine art. Some of them are music instruments. My next project is a guitar. (But recently came across two homeless violins on a vintage run. Shhhh.)

Have done a lot of DIY. Self taught. During 2020-shutdown, did some renovations to my humble little workshop.

I buy more tools than shoes. One of my goals this year is to design my own chisel rack and then actually learn to properly use them!

During winter I miss the outdoors. I rather be in my kayak.

Lastly, like anyone else, I stay away from folks with demands. Letter writing should remain a bit fun & nonrestrictive, but it is something that by nature requires effort. It's a balancing act.

But I'd be remiss not to say that I'm hoping for an experienced long-term writer or two looking to share just a tad more depth than a perfect persona, and selfish (one-sided) correspondence. 

I myself tend to be more comfortable behind the scenes, not an open book straight away (in person or otherwise), but am aiming to improve that this year on the whole.

I like the thought that we create the lives we live, but it's a work in progress.




Comments

© ZJ Missive. All Rights Reserved.