Postcards


During COVID19 I'm indoors with the rest of the world. I keep to my correspondents and painting in my studio. Recently I decided to spread some cheer through the post in tiny bits, instead of missives. For this I went to Postcrossing.com. (I also tried this a few years back.)

We all have our own thing, admittedly, postcards are not mine. The semi-rant that follows solidifies my distaste of useless drama.

Collecting is a big thing in the postcard world. Many care about the front side vs the back. For me it's the quality of what's communicated on the back. This does not mean I want imagery that doesn't resonate with my interests, I do. But a card that is a little 'less' on the front can be redeemed with what's on the back. :)

Second, there are many who shun the handmade postcard. This is a great debate among Postcrossers. The reason for this boycott is that handmade cards are often THIN paper stock and the executed design is elementary. (I've seen images of some of the really awful things people have received). Those who receive them feel they have been hoodwinked at what they have received in return. (I found myself in many a full out cackle when reading these angry-disappointments online.)

My view is that getting something flimsy that is way off the recipients interest-list is somewhat a valid disappointment. But failing to see that someone spent the time and postage to send you something in good-will might be missing the point.

I also don't feel it fair to use 'handmade' as a one-bucket undesirable. Many online profiles make a point of demanding NO Handmade cards.





In life, I tend to favor the custom and local-made thing, OVER a machine manufactured replica. Yet, I don't adamantly desire a flimsy postcard that speaks nothing to my interests either. I get it. However.....

I have found in life that 'perspective' is a marvelous thing. Are the things we collect really worth harping over? Isn't life too short to look down our noses at what someone else might see as delightful and creative?

I don't know. I understand a bit of both arguments. Yet for me, as soon as the Fun, the Learning, the Delight, and Wonder are gone... so am I.



I practice both in my Snail-Mailing, sending what I like or sending what someone else would like— depends on my mood. If my wish is only to delight someone, I send what they like (IF I have anything). If I'm more interested in sharing of myself, I send what I like. (Above, I prefer the left, while others may prefer the right.) 

That said, I am a Craftsman. My work takes time to execute. It sometimes feels monotonous. So creating something small, like a postcard, can help break that up because I can finish it in a reasonable time frame.

The above images are not the medium/style I work in. I like that creating a card can provide me a change of scenery.


I have a stash of store bought cards I find utterly boring. And when I get a swap-offer, "I'll send you a card in return!" it's always lost on me. What can I say, I'm flawed, I prefer written communication.

But here is one last little thing to consider: Most of those marvelously thick manufactured cards are widely available. Other folks, just like you, own them too. Yet a handmade card, there is only ONE just like it. You get something original that no one else has the exact one of.

Those simple 'sketches' Picasso was handing out were nothing compared to the full color reproduced art prints. Yet today, grown adults will throw punches if one was found at a rummage sale. The same could be said of John Lennon's simple drawings.

I know, I know. You collect postcards, you're not an art collector... or are you?
 
__ 
 

I hope everyone is staying safe. Turn off the devices and create something good!
 



(Don't be fooled. My current postcard frenzy will be over soon and back to letters I go. Postcrossings just isn't for me. Although no one can say I've not given it a real Go over the years.)

Comments

© ZJ Missive. All Rights Reserved.