California Typewriter

I should be sleeping! Yet I am wide eyed and tap-tap-taping on my keyboard. I am all of an uproar. I've just seen "California Typewriter" (library DVD... support your local library.)

This documentary follows several different people and presents how they use the typewriter, and their beliefs on its practice and facilitation in creativity.

My father's typewriter, that he used in the Navy, is with one of my brothers. For years I have wanted to make him on offer and buy it from him. I wouldn't use it much, but it would get more attention than it currently receives. A Royal... the most beautiful green. I used it a few times to do book reports back in the day. One in particular was about Armor.

Anywhoo, in the world of typewriter and fountain pen collectors, I am but a humble ink-dip pen enthusiast (who just got another ink well, Lord help me). It can be said that those of us enamored of such things belong to the Analog Club. A religious order threatened by technology that promises convenience, but delivers the constant want of our shekels and pence...interrupting our creative stream of consciousness...(among many other things which I won't get into!)

We members are capable of appreciating the mad-addictions of our fellow analog-loving-partners in the faith, regardless of the actual Order we've fallen prey to. (Be it a pencil, pen, or typewriter.)

This wonderful documentary is a special treat for the month of letters. You will enjoy the personal accounts of why such a tactile form is part of our humanity. They will likely put into words what you feel.

With just one week left of InCo, I think I will use my typewriter greeting cards for letters to typewriter enthusiasts!

Doing it the way only Jerry Lewis can. Enjoy.



California Typewriter trailer.


Boston Typewriter orchestra

Comments

© ZJ Missive. All Rights Reserved.